We want you!
That’s right, we want to help you grow the best garden possible in 2017! I’m writing to you from Appalachian Sustainable Development located in Abingdon, VA, one of over 30 Grow Appalachia sites currently looking for nearby gardeners to join us for another great year. This program supports local individuals, families, and market-scale gardeners in their efforts to grow nutritious vegetables. We want to help you re-establish or strengthen your relationship with your food and the land it’s grown on!
Here’s what you’ll get from us if you participate:
- Information and helpwith topics including planning, planting and maintaining your garden, cooking and canning with fresh foods you grew, and extending your growing season into colder weather.
- An organic growing notebook.
- Tools, tilling service, equipment, seeds and suppliesto start, maintain, and improve your garden – for free (well sort of, we ask a few things of you in return – see below)!
- Help collecting and interpreting a soil samplefrom your garden plot so that you start your garden with the healthiest and most complete foundation.
- Community connections! You’ll be surrounded with neighbors and soon-to-be friends who are also excited about growing food!
And here’s what we’ll need from you:
- NO experience whatsoever!We welcome any and all who are interested – whether you’ve never set foot in a garden and are ready to start growing your own food, or if you’ve been gardening for years, but would like to give organic growing a try.
- Attendance at 6 required informational and hands-on workshopsthroughout the year. These are held at Abingdon Faith in Action’s Demonstration Garden located at 798 Hillman Highway, Abingdon, VA.
- Regular updates on how your garden is growing and what we can do to help it thrive – that’s what we’re here for after all! We will also come visit your garden once during the growing season.
- Accurate harvest data detailing what and how much you grew, how it was used (canned, given away, sold, etc.), and any income produced from selling at market.
- Commitment to growing organically no matter what. We’ll help thwart any pest/disease!