Appalachian Sustainable Development
The grant accountant performs the accounting and financial service functions for programs funded by
grants or special revenue. These functions include: preparing financial projections and budgets,
actual v. budget reporting, reviewing/monitoring of individual grants and transactions for
compliance with private, local, state and federal fund requirements. This position will be
responsible for grant billing and collections, journal entries, and financial grant reporting
including preparation of reports to grantors. Position will also be required to assist in creating
budget proposals for grant applications.
The grant accountant provides fiscal service and support to the Executive Director, the Director of
Finance and to individual Program Managers.
The position is part-time, 20-25 hrs. per week with flexible schedule.
This position reports to the Director of Finance and is expected to also work with program managers
and staff within the organization.
1. Plan, organize and coordinate the centralized accounting and financial reporting for assigned
2. Prepare annual and project budgets, forecasting revenue, estimating any carry-over of funds from
one year to the next.
3. Prepares or assists in the preparation of all applicable fiscal reports for grant related
programs/projects and ensures timely submission.
4. Coordinates with key personnel at all levels to support proper and timely expenditure of grant
funds in compliance with applicable guidelines and budget deadlines.
5. Develops positive working relationships to foster a collaborative environment for grant
coordination and oversight.
6. Applies indirect cost and documents matching funds for grant budgets.
7. Maintains grant fiscal records and database using QuickBooks, Grant Hub and Excel.
8. Reviews and approves journal entries for program managers, assigns account codes and monitors
charges for validity and compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to prioritize and self-direct, analyze situations, identify situations where appropriate
to make decisions.
• Working knowledge of federal and state regulations related to area of responsibility and grant
compliance. A full understanding of state/federal audit requirements.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of governmental accounting.
• Ability to communicate complex information clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
• Ability to analyze and interpret data for accuracy.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to provide a high level of professionalism and establish
and maintain effective inter-organizational communications and relationships.
• Proficiency in various computer applications including QuickBooks and Microsoft Office suite.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related field is
• At least 2 years of general accounting experience or equivalent experience managing grants. This
should include processing complex financial transactions, ensuring compliance with legal or
contractual requirements, recordkeeping and preparation of monthly, quarterly and/or annual
reporting as related to grants and programs.
Apply Below or Email us at email@example.com using subject line: GRANT
Please submit a cover letter with your resume.