About Appalachian Sustainable Development
The mission of Appalachian Sustainable Development (ASD) (www.asdevelop.org) is to transition Appalachia to a more resilient economy and a healthier population by supporting local agriculture, exploring new economic opportunities and connecting people to healthy food. Since 1995, ASD has been working in central Appalachia to make a difference for the people who call this region home. Our vision is that the health of all segments of the population in the region improves and that sustainable agriculture and land use are driving forces in the regional economy.
Appalachian Sustainable Development operates a well-respected food hub that has been in operation since 2000 – Appalachian Harvest (AH). In fact, this experience puts ASD in the position to lead a major multi-year effort to create a farm-to-market distribution corridor that is funded by the Appalachian Regional Commission.
The Director of Finance Opportunity
This is a unique opportunity for the right candidate. You are an experienced and entrepreneurial professional excited to roll up your sleeves and lead. You will be a senior manager in an organization with approximately 20 staff and a budget approaching $2.5 million.
Working closely with the Executive Director, the Board Treasurer and Finance Committee, and other key members of the team, the Director will spearhead all efforts related to financial management, including budgeting and projections, accounting and reporting, bookkeeping, grant management and audit/compliance.
ASD is taking a hard look at its Finance capacity in a time of growth – a true inflection point. The right candidate will have the ability to provide strategic, financial and business leadership, be a resource to and partner with the Executive Director and the Board as well as manage core financial functions.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Financial Leadership and Financial Health:
- Projections and Financial planning
- Loan and LOC management
- Investments: policy management and reporting
- Board reporting and analysis
- Financial systems design and improvement
- Revenue and income analysis
- Expense analysis and control
- Program budgeting
Grant Program Management:
- Reporting and documentation
- Grant budget management, expenses and reimbursements
- Federal grant audit and compliance
- Benefits management and administration
- Credit applications
- Licensing and registrations
- Bank account reconciliation
- Payroll tax reporting and 990 tax return
Financial training and systems design
- Develop systems and tools to use to ensure effective program management.
- Developing and managing internal control systems
Accounting & Reporting:
- General ledger design and maintenance
- Reporting design, production and analysis
- Cash flow management and modeling
- AP/ AR and Payroll
- Appalachian Harvest Accounting
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 6-8 years of nonprofit financial management experience and a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline. Experience with managing finances for multiple enterprises within an organization is a plus. CPA is a plus.
- Extensive background in financial record keeping, budget preparation and management, payroll, A/R and A/P required. Proficient in Quick Books, Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft programs.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with a wide variety of individuals in a professional and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and maintain communications with the Executive Director and other staff and board members is essential. Excellent communications and presentation skills are key.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and develop and manage teams.
Location and Compensation
- The position will be based in ASD’s main office in Abingdon, VA. Flexible work schedule and ample vacation time. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Send your Resume, Cover letter, and Salary History as one document through the Resume Uploader Below.
Equal Opportunity /Non-Discrimination Policy: Appalachian Sustainable Development, parties associated with ASD will not discriminate in any way against a potential candidate in any way on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, age, physical characteristics or marital status